I recently met a young woman named Allyson, who just moved to my neighborhood with her husband and 11-month-old son. When she started making healthy apple muffins for her son, her husband found they made a good breakfast to eat on the way to work.
They contain no added sugar. I added some variations at the end.
Recipe: Baked Apple Oat Cakes
Summary: Easy and healthy apple and oat muffins, no sugar added
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1-2 Tablespoons water
- 2 cups oats, pulsed in a food processor to breadcrumb consistency
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk (I use water)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cook apple, raisins, cinnamon and water for about 10 minutes until apples are soft. Mash.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, mix well.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and sprinkle cinnamon on top (I use silicon muffin cups simply for portioning)
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 30 minutes.
Cook the apples, raisins and cinnamon in the microwave (omit water), or grate the apple and add with raisins and cinnamon to the dry ingredients.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Incoming search terms:
- Apple & Oat muffin