My sister enjoys this recipe, that includes no garlic or onions. It’s from the New York Times Jewish Cookbook.
Bulgur Wheat Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons melted clarified butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup broken-up uncooked noodles (preferably fine)
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (my sister uses olive oil)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 2 tablespoons, dried
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, drained.
- Put clarified butter or olive oil in a deep saucepan, add noodles and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until golden brown.
- Add wheat and mix thoroughly.
- Add all remaining ingredients, cover, reduce heat to very low and cook 20 minutes.
- Fluff before serving.
You may also enjoy: