Wednesday is Recipe Day at Cooking Manager.
I just saw this recipe in my brother’s copy of Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything. It needs occasional attention so use a timer to remind you to stir.
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds (3/4 to 1 kg) Savoy or other white cabbage, cored and shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Place the onions in a large deep skillet or casserole over medium-low heat. Cover and cook, stirring every 5 minutes, until the onions have given up their liquid and are almost sticking to the pan. Add the butter or oil, raise the heat to medium-high, and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the onion browns nicely.
- Add the tomato paste, cayenne, water and cabbage. Stir, then cover Cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
You may also enjoy: