When I see butter and hard cheese in a recipe, I usually skip it. But the recipe asks only for small quantities, and blogger Jenny described how her kids fought over the last piece. My pickier eaters did not appreciate it, but the rest of us loved it. Next time I’m invited to a pot-luck meal I will offer to bring this dish. the source is All Recipes Cabbage-Carrot Casserole, but I lowered the amount of cooking time for the carrots and cabbage and substituted extra spices for the powdered soup mix.
Recipe: Cheesy Cabbage and Carrot Bake
- 1 kg (2 lb) cabbage, sliced thin
- 2-4 carrots, grated
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 60 grams (2 ounces) cheddar cheese
- In large pot, cook cabbage, carrots and spices in boiling water for 20 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- Add the cabbage and carrots to an 8 x 13-inch (20 x 32 cm.) casserole dish, reserving half a cup of the cooking water. (I added the rest of the water to the soup I had on the stove.)
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on low heat. Add the flour and milk to make a white sauce, then add the reserved 1/2 cup of cooking liquid and the cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage mixture.
- Bake at 180 degrees C. (350 F.) until bubbly, 20-30 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
image: la grande farmers market