My mother used to cool off food before refrigeration. But the safety guidelines have changed. Thanks to better refrigerator efficiency, and concerns about food spoilage, it’s best to refrigerate foods immediately after cooking.
Apparently this poses no danger to the rest of the food in your fridge.
But there are times when you will still want to cool foods before refrigeration. When I cooked for my son’s bar mitzvah, we suffered from an extensive heat wave. My kids, home on vacation, opened the fridge frequently. The refrigerator could not keep up with the large quantities. Some of the food spoiled before it should have.
I’ve compiled a few tips to make sure your food will cool quickly and safely.
- Cook some of the hot dishes close to serving time, so they won’t need refrigeration at all (except for the leftovers).
- Ideally, place foods in the refrigerator immediately after cooking.
- Divide large amounts into smaller containers. Leave as little air at the top as possible, unless you are freezing. Frozen foods expand by about eight percent.
- Keep foods tightly covered at all times. It won’t cool off as quickly, but the cover will keep some bacteria away.
- Choose shallow containers so the cold air can reach the interior of the food quickly.
- Store hot containers away from each other. Your refrigerator is coolest in the back.
- Stagger cooking times so the last dish will be cool before the next one is ready.
- For very large quantities, plunge the bottom and sides of containers into ice water before refrigeration. Avoid immersing them completely.
- Alternatively, ask a neighbor for refrigerator space, or rent or borrow a fridge. I could have used the refrigerator in our synagogue for our bar mitzvah.
- Have a plan for cooling leftovers as well.
- A less preferable option for cooling off food is to place it near a fan or air-conditioner.
How do you manage when you have a big cooking session in hot weather?
You may also enjoy:
Incoming search terms:
- to cool foods quickly place them
- how to cool food quickly
- To cool food quickly place them
- how to cool food
- how to cool cooked food for storage
- how to cool foods quickly
- how to cool food fast
- to cool foods quickly place them?
- to col foods quickly place them
- safely cool food after cooking