Thanks to reader Ilana for submitting this recipe, along with her notes.
From The Jewish Low-Cholesterol Cookbook by Roberta Leviton
- 1 cup raw rice, cooked (I use brown rice — it comes to about 2.5 cups cooked)
- 2 T sugar
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 1/2 t cinnamom
- 1 t lemon juice (I have also used orange juice instead)
- 3 egg whites (comes out fine with two whole eggs instead)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted margarine (I leave this out)
- 1/2 cup raisins or chopped dates (optional — I leave this out too).
I tried it the other day in a savory version: I used only the rice, eggs, and milk and added salt, pepper, and chopped onion. Delicious!
If you enjoyed this post you may also like: