Keep a jar of sourdough starter on hand is an easy way to bring your cooking and baking to the next level. You make it from scratch with flour and water, and give it a couple of minutes attention daily for about a week until it gets ripe. You need to feed it occasionally, but I’ve revived mine after it lay dormant for a few weeks. I usually use it about once a week, for pizza, muffins, pancakes or bread.
Sourdough pizza is flexible and forgivable. I like to prepare the dough an hour or two in advance. But you can prepare it the night before and keep it in the refrigerator. If you do it at the last minute, it will also work. Keep in mind that if you leave it out for longer than four hours or so, the dough will get quite tangy.
Recipe: Sourdough Pizza Dough
Summary: Easy and flexible pizza recipe calling for whole-wheat dough and a sourdough starter (starter must be prepared several days in advance)
- 1 cup sourdough starter (See recipe at http://www.cookingmanager.com/make-sourdough-starter/)
- 1 kg. flour, whole-wheat or combination of whole-wheat and white. You may need a little extra in reserve
- 600 ml. water (2-1/4 cups)
- 100 ml. olive or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place starter, approximately 2/3 of the flour, the oil, and water, into a bowl.
- Stir to make a loose batter.
- Cover and let rest for 1-2 hours. For longer than 3 hours, place in the refrigerator. I like to place the bowl inside a clean garbage bag and tie it loosely.
- Add the rest of the flour gradually, Either knead the dough traditionally, or “stretch” it once you have mixed in enough flour for it to be cohesive. The dough is ready when it is soft and does not stick to the pan.
- Spread the dough into a pizza pan or pizza stone, about a quarter-inch thick (6 mm).
- Add toppings as desired: Tomato paste or sauce, pesto, spinach, sliced tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, corn, tuna, hard cheese, feta, peppers, onions, etc.
- Bake at 200 degrees Celsius (400 Fahrenheit) until brown on top and the dough is cooked in the middle. Check after 10 minutes. If your fillings are thick this could take 15 minutes or longer,
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15-25 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 4