Recipe: Unstuffed Rutabaga or Turnip Casserole
- 3 large turnips (or 2 large rutabagas)
- 1 lb. (1/2 kg.) ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice or bulgur
- 1/3 cup finely minced onion
- 1 egg
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes (one big can)
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- Scrub turnips, then cook in water until somewhat softened. Remove from water and set aside to cool. Remove peel.
- In a large bowl, mix meat, rice/bulgur, onion, egg, 1/3 cup diced tomatoes. Then add salt, pepper, cinnamon and red pepper flakes to taste. Don’t skimp on the seasoning! Set aside.
- Mix the remaining diced tomatoes, vinegar, ketchup, paprika, garlic and allspice in a small saucepan. Heat just until boiling, then remove from the heat.
- Slice cooled turnip into large, thin (1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick) slices.
- Put a Dutch oven (a big wide pot) on a burner set on low heat. Pour a bit of sauce in the bottom. Then line the bottom with a layer of turnip slices. Shape meat mixture into meatballs and put a layer of meatballs into the pot. Then another layer of turnips, then another layer of meatballs. Continue until all meat and turnips/rutabagas have been used up.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the turnips and meat. Bring to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat and simmer for one hour.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield):
I recommend doing this recipe in two steps, by cooking the turnips or rutabagas early in the day or the day before and refrigerating.
Thanks Ms. Krieger!
You may also enjoy: