Most of us have a messy drawer or cabinet—or two or three–devoted to plastic storage containers. Plastic containers are light and slide around easily. The different sizes and shapes can be hard to tell apart. Worst of all are the lids, that seem to disappear altogether.
Here are my favorite tips for keeping storage containers from taking over your kitchen:
- Stick to a few sizes and shapes. Most containers are a translucent and are hard to tell apart and find the right cover. Instead of buying a matching set with different sized containers, stick to a few containers of each size, in a unique style and color. A set with containers of different sizes, but identically sized covers, works for some.
- Avoid large storage containers. They are usually not necessary for storing leftovers, since the contents will take a lot of time to freeze and defrost. And they take up room in your refrigerator or cabinet.
- Choose containers that stack. This saves a considerable amount of space.
- Use a permanent marker to label matching containers and lids, or if the containers are meant for particular items. You might know which is the sugar container, but your family won’t.
- Store lids separately from the matching containers. You can stack them on their ends in a dishrack, napkin holder, or box.
- Be vigilant about getting rid of containers that are smelly, badly scratched, missing a cover or don’t close properly.
- Keep a couple of old containers that you can spare, like ones used to store bought foods. Use these instead of disposables ones when bringing food to neighbors, like someone who just had a baby.
- Recycle old containers for storing small items like socks, makeup, or medicines.
What tips can you share for organizing your storage containers?
You may also enjoy:
Incoming search terms:
- best way to store plastic containers
- best way to organize food storage containers
- Best way to Organize storage containers
- how to organize plastic food storage containers
- how to organise can food storage containers
- best way to store plastic rubbermaid containers
- best size container for leftovers
- best way to store leftovers container size
- best way to store and organize plastic containers
- organizing different size plastic food containers