My friend Gladys, who grew up in Panama, brought this salad to our book club meeting. It was such a hit that we asked her to make it again. Today I finally convinced her to share the recipe! She reminded me that today is the Super Bowl, and this is a great party recipe.
Spicy and colorful, it’s full of black beans, avocados and fresh vegetables. Avocados are in season. Just in case you forgot, here’s how you can tell if yours are ripe enough.
Gladys shared one last tip: “Don’t forget to serve the salad with the avocado pit in the center. It keeps the avocado green.” I’m not sure she’s right about that, but it’s a great conversation starter.
Recipe: Super Bowl Avocado and Bean Salad
Summary: Spicy salad.
- 1 can or 1.5 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 1/2 can corn, drained
- 1-2 avocados, chopped
- 2 cucumbers, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- A few drops of tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, or more to taste
- salt, pepper
- Combine beans, avocado and vegetables with tabasco sauce and lemon juice. Stir to coat.
- Combine cider, oil and spices to make the dressing.
- To keep the avocado green, place the pit in the center of the salad.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Dietary restriction: Kosher
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Central American