(If you had problems opening this post previously, try again.)
Chef Jamie Oliver gives a powerful talk on reversing the decline in healthy eating and the alarming rise in obesity. In one clip, he demonstrates how American schoolchildren can’t identify a tomato or a potato, much less beets or broccoli. His vision for America involves teaching every child about food, and teaching children and families ten simple, healthy recipes that they can cook at home. Well worth twenty minutes of your time.
I would teach these recipes:
- Tuna casserole (with vegetables instead of canned soup)
- Vegetarian or turkey chili
- Spanish rice
- Crustless quiche
- Soup stock/vegetable soup
- Marinara sauce
- Rice and Chickpea Casserole
- Red Snapper with Lemon and Dill or some other simple fish recipe.
- Stir-fry chicken.
In addition to recipes, everyone should know how to buy and store food, use up leftovers, care for equipment, and other basics of running a kitchen.