Recipe: Brown Rice with Leeks, Carrots and Black Lentils
Summary: Pressure cooker vegetarian meal-in-one.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced leeks
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 carrot, peeled or scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup small black lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil or other herb
- Heat the oil in the pressure cooker.
- Cook leeks and garlic, stirring, for one minute.
- Stir in the rice, boiling water, tomato paste, carrots, lentils and salt.
- Lock the lid, heat to high pressure and cook for 25 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for another ten minutes. Release any remaining steam.
- Add basil before serving.
You can make these in a conventional pot, but it will need to cook for an hour or more depending on how chewy you like the rice.
Cooking time (duration): 60
Diet type: Vegan
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Gluten free
Dietary restriction: Kosher
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)