In the winter, root vegetables make a great base for a salad. You can use kohlrabi the same way you cabbage in cole slaw. Most coleslaw dressing will work for kohlrabi as well.
Peel the kohlrabi with a paring knife or peeler. The peel can be tough, especially the stem and root ends. For the rest, just remove the smooth outer layer and any bruises. The green layer under the skin is edible, as well as the white center.
I hope you enjoy this simple salad, made in the food processor.
Winter Kohlrabi Salad
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or dill (optional).
- 1 kohlrabi, peeled and cut into large chunks (4-8 pieces)
- 1 peeled carrot, cut in half.
- 1 quarter of a red onion.
- 1 small sweet pepper, any color, cored and seeded and cut in quarters
- 1-2 tablespoons mayonnaise for dressing
- Salt and pepper
- In a dry food processor, process the parsley with the steel knife until fine. Note: There’s no need to rinse off the processor in between steps.
- Process the chunks of kohlrabi in the bowl of the food processor and with the steel knife, using the pulse button, until chopped coarsely. If large chunks remain, remove the smaller pieces and continue to process the larger chunks. Otherwise the kohlrabi will get mushy.
- Remove the kohlrabi to a mixing bowl.
- Repeat step 2 and 3 with the carrot, pepper and onion. Be careful not to overprocess.
- Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
If you enjoyed this post you may also like: