Welcome to the first ever Jewish Holiday Blog Party, hosted by Jessie of Taste and Miriam of Overtime Cook, and sponsored by Kitchen Aid! As you may know, Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year is coming up, and Jewish bloggers from all over the world are celebrating with all kinds of twists on traditional Rosh Hashanah foods.
Recipe: Marinated Beets with Ginger and Garlic
Summary: Vegetarian, colorful and tasty salad will wow your guests.
- 2 large beets or 4 small, about one pound or 500 grams, scrubbed
- 1/2 cup cooking water from beets (see instructions).
- Juice of half a lemon, about two tablespoons
- Two tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon sugar, optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives or thyme, optional
- Beets: Cook beets with 3/4 cup water. Cooking time depends on size, and large ones can take up to 40 minutes. Check doneness by piercing with a fork to the center. Preserve cooking water. If you have less than 1/2 cup, add a little water.
- Allow beets to cool, then slip off the skin. Remove any blemishes. Cut into bite size pieces, or grate. Place in a heat-proof container with a tight cover, preferably a glass jar.
- Marinade: Combine cooking water, lemon juice, vinegar, ginger, garlic and sugar (if using) in the cooking pot. Heat to boil, lower heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Alternatively, heat the marinade in a glass bowl or measuring cup in the microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes. Allow extra room at the top to prevent boiling over.
- Pour the hot marinade over the beets and cover tightly. Don’t worry if the liquid doesn’t cover them. Store in the refrigerator. Toss with fresh herbs before serving.
You can use other whole spices in the marinade, like peppercorns, cloves, or bay leaves. Red wine also works well instead of the vinegar.
Looking for more Rosh Hashanah recipes? Start with Rosh Hashanah Recipes and Cooking Tips. Then check out these great blogs for more:
Challah and Bread:
Hope you enjoyed, and don’t forget to leave a comment for a chance to win.